International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 125 | Views: 226

Research Paper | Pathology | India | Volume 8 Issue 5, May 2019 | Rating: 7 / 10

Histopathological Study of Endometrial Biopsies in Women Presenting with Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Mehnaz Choudhary [2] | Roopali Jandial | Kuldeep Singh [15]

Abstract: Abnormal uterine bleeding is the most common presenting complaint in the women attending gynaecology OPD. Endometrial biopsies and currettings constitute the first and most important diagnostic tool in the evaluation of AUB and in diagnosing endometrial pathology. It helps the gynaecologist to decide the appropriate therapeutic strategy. The present study was done to evaluate the histopathology of endometrium for identifying the various endometrial causes of AUB. Materials and Methods: A total of 106 specimens of endometrial curettings and biopsies over a period of one year from March 2018 to March 2019 were retrieved and analyzed and their findings were documented. The tissue had been received in 10 % formalin, processed routinely, and the slides were stained with Haematoxylin and Eosin. Results: Out of the 106 cases studied, 16 were excluded due to inadequate sampling. The most common age group presenting with AUB in our study was 21-40 years. Out of the 90 cases, functional cause was the predominant finding seen in 75.56 % of cases and the remaining 24.44 % show definite endometrial pathology. The most common histopathological diagnosis among the functional cause was proliferative endometrium seen in 55.88 % cases. Among the organic causes, endometrial hyperplasias were most common seen in 31.82 % cases.

Keywords: abnormal uterine bleeding, endometrium, hyperplasia

Edition: Volume 8 Issue 5, May 2019,

Pages: 1501 - 1503

How to Download this Article?

Type Your Valid Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link

Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait