International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 125 | Views: 182

Research Paper | Medicine Science | India | Volume 4 Issue 12, December 2015

Epidemiology and Management of Perforated Peptic Ulcer: A Hospital Experience

Dr. Prakash Galani [2] | Dr. Gyaneshwar Rao

Abstract: Introduction Assessments of true peptic ulcer rates do, however, pose several methodological problems. Preferably prevalence and incidence rates should be based only on cases verified by endoscopy, roentgenograms or surgery. Gastric and duodenal ulcer rates should be reported separately and ulcer incidence calculated exclusively from first time verified lesions. Material & Method This was a combined retrospective and prospective study of patients operated for peptic ulcer perforations at Gujarat Adani Institute of Medical Science from Janurary 2006 to December 2011. Results & Conclusion Out of 1200 patients who presented with peptic ulcer disease (PUD) during the study period, 120 patients underwent emergency laparotomy for perforated peptic ulcers. Of these, 10 patients were excluded from the study due to incomplete data and failure to meet the inclusion criteria. Thus, 110 patients were enrolled giving an average of 11 cases annually and represented 10 % of cases. Of these, 28 (21.4 %) patients were studied retrospectively and the remaining 82 (78.6 %) patients were studied prospectively.

Keywords: Peptic Ulcer, Prevalence, Perforated Ulcer, Management

Edition: Volume 4 Issue 12, December 2015,

Pages: 223 - 225

How to Download this Article?

Type Your Valid Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link

Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait