Downloads: 145 | Views: 186 | Weekly Hits: ⮙1 | Monthly Hits: ⮙1
Research Paper | Psychology Science | India | Volume 6 Issue 10, October 2017
Family Burden and Coping in Caregivers of Chronic Schizophrenia ? A Hospital based Study
Dr. Kavery Bora M.D. | Dr. Abhilekh Das PGT M.D. | Dr. Kamala Deka
Abstract: Family Burden and Coping in Caregivers of Chronic Schizophrenia A Hospital based study. Dr. Kavery Bora*, Dr. Abhilekh Das**, Dr. Kamala Deka*** Background The demands of being involved in the care of a seriously mentally ill relative have both an emotional and a practical impact on the caregiver. For a given amount of burden, the individual levels of distress show variable considerations because it varies according to their ways of coping. Aim and objectives To assess the burden of caregivers of chronic schizophrenia To assess coping strategies adopted by the caregivers of chronic schizophrenia To study the relationship of burden and coping strategies in caregivers of chronic schizophrenia To assess the relationship of burden of the caregivers with the global assessment of functioning of the patients of chronic schizophrenia Materials and methods The study was conducted in the Department of Psychiatry, Assam MedicaI College and Hospital, in upper Assam (Dibrugarh) with a sample size of 30 primary caregivers of equal number of patients of Chronic Schizophrenia. Diagnosis of Schizophrenia was made as per guidelines listed in ICD-10. The study was of cross sectional, exploratory research design conducted with the use of scales and questionnaire. Results Of the 30 primary caregivers 6 (20 %) experienced lower burden (score < 80 on BAS) whereas the rest 24 (80 %) experienced higher burden (score > 80 on BAS). Caregivers with lower burden in Schizophrenia resorted to coping strategies like Positive cognitive, Negative cognitive, Problem solving, Distraction and External Attribution significantly more than the caregivers with higher burden. On the other hand those with higher burden used coping strategies like Magical Thinking and religious coping significantly more than those with lower burden. A positive correlation was found between caregivers burden and level of impairment in functioning of patients of Chronic Schizophrenia. Conclusion Coping mechanisms like cognitive coping, problem solving, distraction and external attribution can decrease the burden of illness. Therefore their analysis is essential, before clinical interventions, to improve the coping skill of the caregiver. Schizophrenia, Burden, Coping, Caregiver. *M. D. , Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Assam Medical College and Hospital. ** PGT (M. D. ), Department of Psychiatry, Assam Medical College and Hospital. ***M. D. , Professor and HOD, Department of Psychiatry, Jorhat Medical College and Hospital.
Keywords: Schizophrenia, Burden, Coping, Caregiver
Edition: Volume 6 Issue 10, October 2017,
Pages: 372 - 377