International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 109 | Views: 156

Research Paper | Medical Surgical | Saudi Arabia | Volume 6 Issue 1, January 2017

Preference of Physician for Management of Patients with Trauma, (Crystalloids versus Colloids)

Gamal Ejaimi | Khalid Dealan | Ayed Jahrash | Saeed Moghram | Khulood Dealan

Abstract: Objectives This is cross-sectional study was conducted in Abha and Khamis Mushayt Hospitals, KSA, Aseer Region to assess and evaluate the use of fluids resuscitation among trauma patients. The aim of this experiment was to compare and contrast the use of colloids and crystalloids in fluid management for trauma among health practitioner. Methods A number of 158 doctors were included in this study. The ranks of them ranged from house officer or internist up to senior consultants in most medical specialties. A self-administered questionnaire has been developed and distributed as hard copy and a google designed with a link. It comprised a personal characteristic, questions about common fluids which has been used during trauma resuscitation, and also the preferred fluids. Moreover, questions about a written local or international protocols in the hospitals and any experiences of fluids overload or pulmonary edema which occurred before. Result More than 90 % choose to work with crystalloids whereas the other 10 % preferred colloids. On the other hand, out of the 10 % who preferred colloids 8 % had only less than 1-year experience in their specialties. With regards to crystalloids, the majority of participants (more than 60 %) preferred the use of normal saline, 33 % ringer lactate, and only 4.4 % used dextrose in saline. The most popular colloid during trauma fluids resuscitation was found to be the human albumin (more than 60 %), while more than 25 % demonstrated dextran. More than 70 % of participants had patients who developed pulmonary edema during management. Regarding this, those who were treated with the combination of crystalloid and colloids showed the high percentage (more than 50 %). However, when crystalloids and colloids were used separately, it was found to be 33 % and 14 % respectively. Conclusion The study concludes that the most preferred fluids therapy in trauma patients or seriously ill patients was found to be crystalloids regardless the theoretically findings that shows the exact opposite. Meanwhile, the high percentage of trauma patients who developed pulmonary edema was found among those who were treated with both crystalloids and colloids therapy. However, this issue needs more studies in the future. Also, a clear written protocol will help and guide fluids therapy.

Keywords: Fluids, Crystalloids, Colloids, Trauma, Resuscitation

Edition: Volume 6 Issue 1, January 2017,

Pages: 2169 - 2172

How to Download this Article?

Type Your Valid Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link

Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait