International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064


Downloads: 1 | Views: 97 | Weekly Hits: ⮙1 | Monthly Hits: ⮙1

Research Paper | Surgery | India | Volume 12 Issue 6, June 2023


Comparative Study on Enbloc Resection Vs Mastectomy in Management of Phyllodes Tumor of Breast

Richa Jaiman [3] | Juhi Singhal [6] | Shubham Prashant Kaushal


Abstract: Background: The mammary gland is an organ of ectodermal origin, typical of mammalians, whose structure reflects its special function the production of milk for lactation. Vast majority of breast lesion are benign, as benign lesions of breast are far more frequent than malignant one. The term phyllodes tumor represents a broad range of fibroepithelial disease and presence of an epithelial component along with stromal component differentiates phyllodes tumor from other stromal sarcomas. Methods: 80 patients were included in this study who had phyllodes tumor admitted in SNMC, Agra from January 2021 to July 2022. There were two groups and each of them consist of 40patients. group A all cases that were treated by en bloc resection, Group B all cases that were treated by simple mastectomy. After surgery, total patients followed up for 6 months. Results: Phyllodes tumor studied majority of females were in age 25 to 50 years, with tumor distributionin upper inner quadrant (UIQ) and lower inner quadrant (LIQ) 60% and remaining 40% were in other quadrants. Majority of patients in Group II (simple mastectomy) required operative more than 90 minutes40% as compared to Group I (En bloc) 5%. Post operative duration of drain removal was nearly same in both the groups, but duration of hospital stay was significantly higher in Group II was 8 - 12 days as compared to Group I was 4 - 8 days. Post operative recurrence found during follow up in Group - I (35.00%) in Group - II (15.00%). Also post operative scar dehiscence was significantly higher in mastectomy group (20%) as compared to en bloc resection (this can be attributable due to tumor to breast size ratio). Conclusion: In our study we found that in majority of patient with breast lump located in right upper and lower quardrant, In simple mastectomy we founded that operative time, duration of hospital stay was more than en bloc resection but post operative recurrance rate was significantly higher with enbloc resection.


Keywords: Phyllodes tumor, Giant fibroadenoma, simple mastectomy, en bloc resection


Edition: Volume 12 Issue 6, June 2023,


Pages: 2652 - 2655


How to Download this Article?

Type Your Valid Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link


Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait

Top