International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 154 | Views: 213

Research Paper | Cardiology Science | India | Volume 8 Issue 4, April 2019

Seasonal Predilection of Hospital Admissions for Myocardial Infarction- An Epidemiological Study

Kannan K [3] | Ranganathan G | Manohar G [3] | Arun R [10]

Abstract: Background: Ischemic Heart Diseases (IHD) accounts for majority of Cardio Vascular Diseases (CVD) in India. Seasonal variation in the hospital admission of Myocardial infarction has been documented from various regions across the world. There is dearth of such evidence from India, this study aims to determine the association between seasonal predilection and hospital admission of cases of Myocardial Infarction. Methods: It is a retrospective study that has been carried out for 7 years on 3307 patients with STEMI. Results: On studying 3307 eligible patients 72.14 % of patients were male and remaining 27.86 % were female. Each year was divided into 4 seasons Pre Monsoon (July September), Monsoon (October December), Winter (January March) and Summer (April June). Patients are divided into 5 age groups - <40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70, >70. Among the 5 age groups patients aging between 50 60 has contributed 34.32 % and patients aging between 40-50 and 60-70 contribute 23.13 % and 22.83 % to MI respectively. Among 3307 patients 61.89 % of MI cases had AWMI and remaining 38.11 % shows IWMI. Over the period of 4 years 26.09 % cases have been recorded during winter (January March). Conclusions: There is a higher incidence of MI cases during winter but there is no statistically significant variations in the occurrence of AWMI and IWMI with seasons. Further prospective studies need to be done to further explore the seasonal predilection of types of MI.

Keywords: Myocardial Infarction

Edition: Volume 8 Issue 4, April 2019,

Pages: 485 - 489

How to Download this Article?

Type Your Valid Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link

Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait