International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Call for Papers | Fully Refereed | Open Access | Double Blind Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 143 | Views: 179 | Weekly Hits: ⮙2 | Monthly Hits: ⮙2

Research Paper | Medicine Science | India | Volume 7 Issue 5, May 2018

A Study of Hematological Profile and Vitamin B12 Levels in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients in a Tertiary Care Hospital

Dr. Anil G.D. | Dr. Yamsani Sandeep | Dr. Jithin George [2]

Abstract: Background Anemia is a major comorbidity of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and in patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD) on renal replacement therapy. Aims and Objectives To study hematological profile and serum B12 levels in patients with chronic kidney disease in tertiary care hospital. Hospital based cross sectional study. Discussion Among 50 patients 68 % had Hb between 5-10gm % and 18 % had Hb less than 5-10gm % and 18 % had Hb less than 5gm %, 14 % had more than 10 %. serum ferritin levels value of less than 10 was observed in 7 (14 %) of patients and the remaining 43 (86 %) had serum ferritin level in the normal range.54 % of patients had serum b12 levels less than 187 and the rest 46 % had level between 187-883. Conclusion This study shows that anemia is prevalent among CKD patients of which 86 % had moderate degree of anemia which was the most frequent finding in both sexes and the degree of anemia was more severe in females as compared to males, most of the patients being elderly. Majority of the patients in our study revealed serum b12 deficiency which also caused elevated serum homocysteine levels in the patients.

Keywords: CKD, Anemia, ferritin, vitamin B12

Edition: Volume 7 Issue 5, May 2018,

Pages: 437 - 444

How to Download this Article?

Type Your Email Address below to Receive the Article PDF Link

Verification Code will appear in 2 Seconds ... Wait