International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) | Most Trusted Research Journal Since Year 2012

ISSN: 2319-7064

Research Paper | Orthopaedic Surgery | India | Volume 9 Issue 1, January 2020

Treatment of Compound Tibial Diaphyseal Fractures by Ilizarov Method: A Retrospective Study

Dr. Rajendra Dnyandeo Jangle

Background- This study was done to evaluate the results obtained by treatment of open tibial shaft fracture grade IIIA and IIIB by Ilizarov external fixator in terms of radiological bone healing and functional results, and to study treatment associated complications. Methods- Study was carried out in Pt. B. D. Sharma postgraduate institute of medical sciences, Rohtak, Haryana between April 2017 till Jan 2020. After satisfying the criteria, selected 34 patients subjected to thorough history, followed by a clinical examination. Proper counselling and thorough radiological and laboratory investigation were done. Patient was operated as early as possible and serial follow up was done and minimum at 1 year follow up, The patients were assessed clinically using the Tuckers criteria and Johner and Wruhs criteria. Post-operatively patients were assessed both radiologically and clinically to determine the effect of treatment. Radiological union was graded on the basis of Fernandez-Estev grading. Data analysis was done using statistical packages for social sciences (SPSS) 22.0. Results- Age of cases ranged from 19-54 years. With average being 37.74 years. 70.6 %of the cases were male in the study group. Equal proportion of both sides (Right and left) was involved. In 31 (91.18 %) patients fracture united whereas in remaining 3 (8.82 %) patients non-union occurred. Mean fixator removal time was 22.76 weeks. 31 (91.18 %) cases showed excellent to good results after the intervention and only 3 (8.82 %) of the cases showed poor result according to Tuckers criteria and 30 (88.23 %) cases had excellent to good results and 4 (11.77 %) cases had poor results using Johner and Wruhs criteria. Conclusions- It is recommended to use llizarov external ring fixator apparatus to provide primary definitive fixation for high energy long bone fractures. Early weight bearing even in severely comminuted fractures is the key factor that separates it from other methods of fixation. It promotes early functional recovery, eliminating fracture disease. Further studies with larger sample sizes and longer follow ups are recommended.

Keywords: Open tibia fracture, Ilizarov method

Edition: Volume 9 Issue 1, January 2020

Pages: 883 - 886

How to Cite this Article?

Dr. Rajendra Dnyandeo Jangle, "Treatment of Compound Tibial Diaphyseal Fractures by Ilizarov Method: A Retrospective Study", International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),, Volume 9 Issue 1, January 2020, 883 - 886

29 PDF Views | 25 PDF Downloads

Download Article PDF

Video Lecture of Above Article is Not Available Yet

You be the First to Request! Press the Button below!