Downloads: 122 | Weekly Hits: ⮙1 | Monthly Hits: ⮙15
Research Paper | Management | Rwanda | Volume 8 Issue 5, May 2019
The Influence of Participatory Approach on Effective Monitoring and Evaluation Process of Roads Construction Projects in Rwanda: A Case Study of Kigali Specialeconomic Zone Gasabo District
Kamugunga Adolphe, Dr. Patrick Mulyungi
Participatory monitoring and evaluation (PM&E) is one of the many development approaches that were practiced around the world. Many governments and non -governmental organization across the globe have realized that the main reasons for failures in their developmental projects has been and may still be perhaps due to the lack of encouraging active, effective and a lasting participation space for beneficiaries intended for their interventions. The lack of effective monitoring and evaluation has resulted to huge loses of public funds through construction of poor quality roads. Generally the study goal was to demonstrate the influence of participatory approach on monitoring and evaluation process of construction projects in Rwanda. The researcher adopted a descriptive survey design. Descriptive design allowed the researcher to define record. The research study combined both quantitative and qualitative methods. In line with this study, 28 employees of Kigali Special Economic Zone project was sampled. The universal sampling method was used to calculate the sample size. Data were collected using structured questionnaires with 4 Sections; section A had questions on bio data of the respondents, section B, C and D had research items on the influence of participatory approach on monitoring and evaluation process of construction projects in Rwanda. The responses were analyzed through SPSS (Statistical Packages of Social Sciences) version 21. Frequency and percentage were used to describe indicators of participatory approach and monitoring and evaluation process. Correlation analysis with two tailed significant test was used to test the correlation between variables while a multiple regression were used to test the overall variables. ANOVA test was conducted to test the statistical significance of the overall influence of participatory approach on monitoring and evaluation process of roads construction projects in Rwanda. The results of the study showed that 89 % of sampled employees strongly agree with the statement that the project progression influences the monitoring and evaluation process of Special Economic Zone roads construction project in Gasabo District while the remaining 11 % supported the idea by agreeing. Respondents also confirmed that the managers of project knows how to take decision which can influence the success of roads construction project in Special Economic Zone located in Gasabo District at 71 % of strong agreement and 29 % agreement. Finally, manager of Special Economic zone involves their Stakeholder in daily project activities at 57 % strong agreement and 43 % agreement. About the Involvement of stakeholder in roads construction project to influence the success of project, 56 % strong agreement and 43 % agreement were obtained.
Keywords: Availability of Funds, Monitoring and evaluation, Participation, Participatory monitoring and Evaluation, Periodic Maintenance Project, Routine Maintenance Project
Edition: Volume 8 Issue 5, May 2019
Pages: 1971 - 1976
How to Cite this Article?
Kamugunga Adolphe, Dr. Patrick Mulyungi, "The Influence of Participatory Approach on Effective Monitoring and Evaluation Process of Roads Construction Projects in Rwanda: A Case Study of Kigali Specialeconomic Zone Gasabo District", International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), https://www.ijsr.net/search_index_results_paperid.php?id=ART20198217, Volume 8 Issue 5, May 2019, 1971 - 1976
Enter Your Registered Email Address
Similar Articles with Keyword 'Participation'
Credit Cooperatives in Brazil
Dr. Murillo de Oliveira Dias, Murilo Ramos Alambert Rodrigues
Practices and Challenges of Women in Leadership and Development Activities of Some Selected Woredas of Bench Maji Zone, Ethiopia
Miressa Yadessa Eba
Regional Expansion in Tana Toraja Regency of South Sulawesi Province, Indonesia
Constitutional Basis for Metropolitan and Provincial and Local Government Systems in Zimbabwe: Creating a New Political Dispensation
Dr. S.B.M. Marume
The IMF / World Bank Economic Structural Adjustment Programmes in Sub-Saharan Africa: What Were the Impacts on Small Enterprise Development?
Washington Muzari, Edson Gwangwava