International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)

International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR)
Since Year 2012 | Open Access | Fully Refereed | Peer Reviewed

ISSN: 2319-7064

Downloads: 113

Informative Article | Radiological Sciences | Iraq | Volume 6 Issue 12, December 2017

Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Assessment of Recurrent Rectal Malignancy in Iraqi Patients

Dr. Khaleel Ibraheem Mohson [3] | Anas K. Awn [2]

Abstract: Backgroundthe incidence of colorectal cancer has been increasing dramatically following thefinancial and economic advancements. Now, colorectal cancer is the third foremost cause of cancer deaths in both males and femalesin the United States. Many diagnostic tools had been emerging in the screening and early diagnosis of the disease including fecal occult blood and colonoscopy, but from a radiological viewpoint, Magnetic Resonance (MR) imaging is still by far the primary cross-sectional imaging modality used for preoperative local staging of rectal cancer, patient-follow up after rectal surgery and neoadjuvant chemotherapy due to its high spatial resolution and marked soft-tissue characterization. Objectivethe objective of this studyis to assess the role of MR imaging in recurrent rectal tumor detection, its site, signal characteristics and appearance on variable sequences and whether or not the tumor is resectable. Patients and method this is a retrospective study compromised of 50 patients, it was performed during the period of November 2016 to September 2017 in MR unit in the Oncology Teaching Hospital, Medical City Compound, where the patients were referred from the Oncology Clinic then their imaging findings were assessed by specialist radiologists. ResultsA review of the study that compromised of 50 patients with rectal cancer and underwent surgery, 20 were males and 30 were females, their age ranges between 28-85 years, 12 patients (24 %) showed no recurrence while the remaining 38 patients (76 %) showed recurrence. However, ofthe recurrent tumor patients, 12 had recurrence at ileoanal anastomosis site in which 5 had intramural (41 %), 5 hadextraluminal (41 %) and 2 patients had both intra- and extramural recurrence. While in patients with abdominoperineal resection, 9 had anterior local recurrence (34.6 %) and 7 cases of presacral regrowth were found (27 %), only 3 patients showed lateral pelvic wall muscular invasion (11.5 %). Also, lymph nodes recurrence was found in 7 patients mainly involving the mesorectal group (57 %). The obturator group involved in (28 %) and least infiltrated nodes were the inguinal group in (15 %). The results of theMR signal in corresponding to nearby pelvic muscles on T1 and T2 weighted images were isointense in 68 % and greater than in 32 %, while the enhancement pattern after intravenous Gadolinium is equal to ileum wall enhancement in 76 % and greater than in 24 %. ConclusionMR imaging is thepreferred imaging modality inevaluation and patient- follow up with suspicious recurrence after rectal malignancy surgery. Its value was demonstrated in characterization and diagnosis of pelvis lesion (s) by assessing their appearance on T1, T2 and fat suppression T2 MR sequences, as well as assessing their enhancement pattern after intravenous Gadolinium in fat suppression sequence.

Keywords: rectal tumor, recurrence pattern, MR imaging, Gadolinium fat suppression T1, pelvic muscles signal

Edition: Volume 6 Issue 12, December 2017,

Pages: 1480 - 1483

Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Assessment of Recurrent Rectal Malignancy in Iraqi Patients

How to Cite this Article?

Dr. Khaleel Ibraheem Mohson, Anas K. Awn, "Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Assessment of Recurrent Rectal Malignancy in Iraqi Patients", International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),, Volume 6 Issue 12, December 2017, 1480 - 1483, #ijsrnet

How to Share this Article?

Enter Your Email Address

Similar Articles with Keyword 'MR imaging'

Downloads: 105

Case Studies, Radiological Sciences, India, Volume 5 Issue 9, September 2016

Pages: 1400 - 1401

Incidentally Detected Agenesis of Left Submandibular Gland in a Case of Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid - A Case Report

Mohammad Haroon MD | Kashif Iqubal MD | Yashmin Nisha DNB

Share this Article

Downloads: 110

Dissertation Chapters, Radiological Sciences, India, Volume 4 Issue 9, September 2015

Pages: 996 - 1005

CT SCAN- An Aid to the Diagnosis to Tumours of Oral Cavity and Oropharynx

Choraria Shivangi | Aggarwal Arvind | Shah Pallavi | Jhala Pradeep

Share this Article